Friday, August 05, 2005

Needs

The days seem to last forever and blend together, all at once. This week has been one of the longest weeks of my life and yet, it seems everything is happening much too quickly. This afternoon we will be greeting guests who have flown halfway across the world to be with us at this time, to say goodbye to their beloved Kay, just as we are trying to do.

Yesterday, we were able to see Kay for the first time since they took her from us on Monday evening. I am sure everyone expects me to say how horrible it was to see her in the casket, but it truly wasn’t horrible. It was heartbreaking to know that she is really gone, but she looked so beautiful, so peaceful. For months, I have seen her in pain, this was one of the very few times I can honestly say she looked free from pain. Before she passed away, she made a request that a quilt be purchased and draped over her casket. At the close of the service, she requested a piece be cut from the quilt, placed with her, and the remainder of the quilt be with Sophie. Last night, we were able to drape the quilt over, just as Kay asked us to do.

The next few days will be very hard to cope with, for all of us, but especially for my Aunt Sophie. Not only has she lost her wife, but she is grieving another type of loss, a loss so complicated and heartbreaking that I can’t even write about it here. To say that she has had too much heartbreak this week would be an understatement. Please keep her in your prayers. Things are rough right now.

This evening we will be at Kay’s visitation. We made an impromptu decision to have some very special music playing tonight. Kay, just as my Mom did, enjoyed music greatly and it became a necessity during her final weeks. We had several cd’s playing thru the final week of her life, many of which my Mom also listened to. Tonight, during the calling hours, that same music will be playing. While this may not make sense to some of you, this is our way of bringing a part of Kay to all those who love her as much as we do.

I will write more later tonight, I have too much to say to hold it all in, but for now, I need to embrace the person who needs me. She needs to feel that she isn’t alone, just as I do. She needs me. I won’t let her down.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Lauren Gromet said...

Shelly,

Alex told me you had a webpage a few days ago when he told me of your Aunt's passing. For the last few hours, I have been reading both on your page as well as on your Mother's site. I have laughed until I have cried and cried until I have laughed.

My heart cries out for you, how you have had to endure so much pain, why you have had to face so much in the past few years. I don't have the words to tell you how very sorry that I am for all that is happening around you, to you.

Your family remains in my every prayer and I want you to know that I am only a phone call away, day or night. Alex has kept me well updated on how things are going, so please know that you don't need to explain anything to me. I'm here whenever you need me.

We all miss very much and will continue to pray both for you as well as your family as you all cope with yet another loss and all that comes along with this tragedy.

Sending love and strength from across the big pond...
The Gromet Family

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home